Wednesday 14 August 2013

Day 425 : Summer In The City

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away......



Then these things happened :

Work went mad.
I went on holiday.
I returned to over a months outage of internet outside my providers control (well, speeds that comprise outage anyway)
Brave Newbies moved house.
CFC and Test set the Eastern side of EVE aflame and I missed it all.
Britain had a proper summer for once. A real burner which compelled me to lie about and drink cold lager a lot. (Not much different to my usual behaviour I know but a good excuse)
Several weekend evenings spent sleeping off watching the Ashes in the pub (this is a cricket reference, sorry to those outside GB or AU. Particularly sorry to some of those actually in the AU timezone for reasons they'll understand, ha ha. I'm looking at you Rob).

Add a sprinkling of the usual RL ups and downs and you have a summer snapshot.

As the weather cools, a slightly heavier and more tan coloured Noob finds himself thinking again of doing more than just autopiloted runs between markets and updating skill queues over breakfast.....

I didn't leave EVE, I just didn't play it. With the first hints of Autumn on the horizon and 24 degree temperatures at midnight no longer a problem (lack of sleep and an inability to wear headphones without overheating) it is time once more to aim to misbehave. Hopefully this time there will be more than just aiming.

I got as far as moving my stuff down to the hi sec entrance to Raha before the extreme outage set in. Last night I had it all carted back the same way and beyond, this time to the hi sec system nearest Brave Newbies new home. I'll figure out a way of shifting it the last few jumps myself, once I've taken a look around. All I need to do now is run the pod gauntlet myself and I'm there. I'm going sometime between tomorrow and the weekend so if you are one of those Braves that are still floating round Mendori and see me leaving then feel free to tag along. I'll be in the one in stealth bomber using you as a decoy. Just kidding...

I haven't been idle in the slow time. I've saved up some cash from slow trading and industry and had characters on PLEXed dual training for various purposes. There is enough cash left for at least a month of Talwars. I tried out a short term project elsewhere in the meta game that I think I'm going to let die off. It was fun while it lasted. I've EFT Warriored until it became like an odd game of Chess (At which point I decided to learn Chess again and my phone gave me a kicking. On easy level. The bastard thing. Chess is definitely not like riding a bike). All in all it's surprising what you can achieve in EVE and the metagame using only lunchtimes, breakfasts and, thanks to autopilot, the time spent in various uses of the bathroom. Apologies to anyone who said hi during this time and never got a response. It'll be safer if you imagine I was cleaning my teeth at the time. What I need is a waterproof mobile phone and EVE chat as an application. Anyone heard anything recent from Jon Lander and mobile EVE apps?

I've missed wars, I've missed chat, I've missed space (I was generally in the shower when it passed by), I've missed but never forgot EVE. So I think it is now time to get out there and die gloriously in pursuit of , well, EVE.

7o

PS Hurrah to me for not raging about British Telecoms organisation and customer service. A bigger advert for corporate fuckwittery and the perils of monopoly I have never seen. Well I guess I had a little bit of a rage.

PPS Four hour turn around for 32 jumps by Red Frog for 800,000m3. Nice work.

EVE Track of the Day : Boys of Summer, Don Henley
(or the title of the post, whatever)









7 comments:

  1. Great to see you post again! Summer has made me play eve less too but it's great coming back to a character with a couple months more of skill training and playing with new toys. Hope to cross paths with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you. Amused by the bombing run incident. I think you got there just before I was about to try it. I'll be more careful!

      I think EVE lends itself well to these breaks rather than completely leaving. As you say, you come back with a bunch of new skills and able to fly new things! This is either a good thing or a "trapped in EVE forever" thing.

      Delete
  2. I've been taking a break too, due to summer,new job, a desire for simple in your face PvP when I have bothered to sit in front of my pc (hello planetside2) and that darn steam summer sale.......but I'm feeling the call of the roam again also veto Sept meet soon see you there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unsure about the Veto meet at the moment. I turn 40 a couple of days after it so I may do something random. Failing that I'll be there getting hammered again!

      Delete
  3. Welcome back.

    TEST aren't too far away from you guys and we've taken a certain neighbourly interest recently. We teamed up with you to kill Kirith Kodachi there yesterday and some dude's Thanny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard TEST have been around! I got waylaid by too many other tasks to pay attention yesterday (and was fast asleep by the time the Thanny dropped!) but managed to get a ship into Barley, grab a couple of doctrine fit Talwars off contract, and set up a project to produce doctrine fit (almost) Talwars by next month.

      Just some system bookmarks of my own and grabbing a couple of my fitted ships that need wasting and I'm good to go. Hopefully I'll be roaming around the area over the next week.

      Delete
  4. This summer I won at Eve! No shame in that :)

    ReplyDelete